The leaves are turning from green to shades of red and yellow, whilst the temperatures begin to cool down. The mornings are getting darker and in just a month, the clocks will turn back. Although it’s sad to wave goodbye to the warmth and long evenings of Summer, Autumn brings lovely things such as thick sweaters, log fires and of course, delicious meals. This recipe originates from the black forest using many ingredients specific to the area.
Here is the recipe!
- 1 kg Pumpkin
- 2 potatoes
- 1 leak
- 2 tbsp. of clarified butter.
- 1L of vegetable broth ( this can either be bought or homemade. Here is a recipe for homemade vegetable broth: http://www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/home-made-vegetable-broth/ )
- 100 ml double cream
- Caraway seeds
- A twig of thyme
Instructions to make:
- Peel two potatoes and cut them into small chunks.
- Remove all the seeds from the pumpkin using a spoon and then cut the flesh into small chunks.
- Dice the leek as well.
- Heat the clarified butter, and then add the pumpkin, potatoes and leeks, at low temperature over the stove. N.B If you do not have a hand held blender you can instead blend all these ingredients together in a normal blender before you heat them.
- Grind the caraway seeds, peppercorns and coriander using a mortar.
- Add this mixture as well as the thyme twig to the pan and let it simmer with a lid on the pan for 20 minutes.
- Now, add the vegetable broth and bring it to boil.
- Then take the lid off and let it sit at a very low temperature for 20 mins. Also take out the thyme twig.
- Now, if you have a hand-held blender (also known as a stick mixer) puree the soup.
- Spice the soup using salt and pepper.
- Before serving, add double cream and caraway seeds and then sprinkle some chopped parsley over the top for decoration.
- Eat and enjoy!
I hope this inspires you to make the most of these seasonal vegetables and enjoy some delicious warm soup!
By Sophia (MYP4)
“German Pumpkin Soup • Original German Recipes.” Best German Recipes, 24 Oct. 2016, http://www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/german-pumpkin-soup/. Accessed 27 Sept. 2017. – for picture and recipe.
“Home Made Vegetable Broth – German Recipe • Best German Recipes.” Best German Recipes, 19 Oct. 2016, http://www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/home-made-vegetable-broth/. Accessed 27 Sept. 2017.